Tuesday 29 July 2014

Commitments overpowered by Cravings

Today I'm not just feeling like my diet hasn't been that great, but I'm finally admitting that I'm just not committed to it.  Why?!  Why can't I be healthy?  Many reasons, probably some I am unaware of.  When I consider it, I think today's junk food session was caused from exhaustion and starvation, and by 'starvation', I mean I had not eaten since noon (for over 5 hours which is really bad, because we know that we have to eat small meals every 2-3 hours, right?  I will write more about why soon, from a biological, cellular perspective).  I only slept 3-4ish hours last night. I find when I don't sleep much, I crave junk.

But let's get back to commitments. How many times have you started a new lifestyle change, but never wholly committed yourself to it, and gave up, or didn't follow through to the best of your ability?  How many failed diets have you gone through?  How many successful ones?  Let's hear successful stories!  However, without knowledge of the unsuccessful ones, how will we relate to failure?  Not all attempts can be successful, but what do you need to do to change that?  What will it take to really make a commitment to something, and stick to it until you reach your goal?  What do you need in order to make this happen?

If I ask myself these questions, my answer is... I don't know.  That's my homework.  Something to really think about, and while I do, I will be better.

1 comment:

  1. I think I have the same problem. I've been wanting to lose weight since I was a teenager, but I've only been truly committed twice.

    The first time, I was a senior in high school, and for some reason one night, something just clicked in me and I began working out, cutting out most of the rice and bread from my diet and drastically increasing my fruits, veggies, and fish intake. I made drastic changes but it didn't feel like it because I wanted it SO bad.. I lost 10 lbs until finals hit and I started stress eating.

    The second time was during my undergrad when I really wanted to lose weight and began eating a healthy diet and doing yoga. I lost 15 lbs that summer.

    I'm trying to think of what made me so committed, and why I can't seem to get that motivation/willpower these days but I just can't figure it out :( I usually eat healthy for a couple days and then go back to my old ways, I'm just not motivated enough, and when I do get motivated, I can't seem to keep it up for longer than a few days.

    So many people successfully lose weight, why can't I do it?!

    Em

    ReplyDelete