Friday 18 July 2014

Homemade Almond Milk with a side of a Polish Change

Good afternoon! 

Welcome to Friday :)

I came across an article on almond milk recently and it inspired today's post. I was going to share the article with you, but I found it too negative.  The gist of it was.... people are straying from dairy, the almond milk market is growing quickly, and we're spending way too much money on "almond milk" which is mostly just water with a tiny bit of almonds in it. Well my friends, that is almond milk! If you are trying to stay away from dairy and you enjoy the taste of almond milk but don't want to buy it, then why not make it?

My blog's first guest (yes, that's right, my blog will have guest appearances on it! I've spoken with several people in the health, wellness and beauty industries, asking them to be make guest appearances on my blog or be guest bloggers. Basically, I thought it would be awesome if we hear from people around the community who can share information with us via interviews, videos, etc.) is Nadia Capetola, hairstylist extraordinaire, owner of HBS Spa Life and long time friend. I thought of her and her organic, homemade almond milk when reading the article and asked her if she would share her recipe with us.

Now, we are all supposed to be working today... I mean.. we *are* all "working" today.... I was trying to get Nadia to sign papers while sitting at the manicure station across from her, and while Irena (another of HBS's awesome stylists!) paints her nails.  Yes, it's a fun job, I can't deny it! I asked her to give us her recipe and here it is:

  • 1.5 L of water
  • 1/4 cups of almonds 
Yep folks... that's it! 

Okay, wait, there's more... 
  • In a blender, add almonds and water
  • Blend. Blend. BLEND! 
  • DO NOT STRAIN! 
  • Drink! 
Or... Nadia recommends blanching the almonds first if you want a white almond milk texture, otherwise your milk may come out gritty. She says you can also add honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar if you want some added sweetness.

I asked Nadia how her favourite way to enjoy it was. She replied, "I froth it for my morning chai tea", and rarely do we ever see her without her chai! mmmm chai!

Other uses she recommends with organic, homemade almond milk: have it in cereal, or add cocoa for a yummy chocolate milk. One word she uses to describe homemade almond milk, "Refreshing!"

If you try to make your own almond milk, let me know how it goes!

Before I leave for the day, here are Nadia's nails: 


Enjoy your Friday! 




4 comments:

  1. I may try that. I can't stand coconut water and I absolutely hate "milk" things, except MILK CHOCOLATE ;)

    Love that yellow polish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you have now? With your cereal? Try making it! You can also add vanilla. Let me know if you make it, especially with cocoa!

      Delete
  2. i did have almond milk not long ago-

    though i think the home-made version may be better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the homemade version will taste a lot more like almonds! Not to mention, be preservative free and more wholesome!

      Delete