Monday 11 August 2014

Off to spend a week with a precocious, energetic young man

I am heading up to beach country!  Not really to go to the beach, but to babysit my incredibly energetic five year old nephew for the week.  I'm already exhausted thinking about it! Ha! Plus, I've only had a few hours of sleep over the past couple of nights.  This is my first time spending more than a day with him.  I'm excited about it, because he is an incredibly precocious, scientific, fun, funny and the most *beautifullest* li'l boy you ever did see and I luuuuuuurvs him more than anything! <3  But I'm also nervous because I hope everything goes smoothly and that my energy level and back hold up for the week.  And that he stays whole and healthy. 

I'm debating on whether I'm going to take my laptop with me or not.  I've been addicted to gaming since my mom passed away.  I'm sure all that time spent at my computer making those redundant moves is making my back worse.  My brother has a computer in his office in the house, so I have access to that, but I want to try to stay away from it as much as possible. My nephew is going to be at camp during the day - he gets to go on fun trips with his class every day! ... if he wakes up in time and I get him to daycare before the bus leaves! Otherwise, my brother told me he will be very sad when his class isn't there when he arrives.  So, something else to be nervous about!  I know I should just take a deep breath and let it all unfold as it may.  

My nephew is fun but exhausting even after a couple of hours. I am hoping we make it to camp everyday then I have the days to myself. I'm taking up a sewing project (last year I used my mom's sewing machine to sew the first thing I've sewed in about two decades! My mom loved sewing! She made many of her own outfits which she got lots of compliments on, and some of mine as well!).  I sewed a little apron for my nephew because he started making roti's with my brother and well you know... atta (flour) was everywhere! Of course, after I gave it to him, he threw it across the room and said, "That's for babies!" I later figured out that he probably thought it was some sort of bib! hahaha! Now, I'm making him this incredibly cute Humpty Dumpty from a pattern I purchased on Etsy.  I've only started cutting it out... it will be interesting sewing! But I figure, in my down time (if there is any) at my bro's, I can finish cutting it out and pinning pieces together, ready to sew. I would like to give it to my nephew for his birthday in October - he's in his *stuffies* phase and takes his stuffed toys with him wherever he goes!

There is also a beach a few minutes away.  I may go hang out on my own there during the day... we'll see.. I'm not the most incredibly beachy or sun worshipping person, but I do love being in water!  I will try to stay off of the computer as much as possible and enjoy life like it was before the internet era came into our lives!  (Which was in the late 90's for me.) 

So please wish me luck!  I'll take any advice you have on entertaining, cooking for and keeping li'l ones healthy!  I am taking up my backyard croquette set, plus some kinetic sand for the rainy days.   Alright, I should continue to pack.  Maybe my journey will continue online while I'm up.  Let's see how it goes.  I am breezy, I am light, I am not stressing, I am fun, I am energetic, and I am a great aunt!

*exhales*

5 comments:

  1. Hope you had fun with your nephew! Did you end up checking out the beach?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun, but exhausting! I didn't make it to the beach - it rained and thunder stormed for the most part of my time up there :(

      Luckily, I bought two boxes of Kinetic Sand which kept my nephew entertained!

      Delete
  2. Sooo... how did it go?! I just laughed when you said your nephew said: "that's for babies!" maybe you can make one with a "man's theme" (low/corse voice) trucks, trains, airplanes? :-) I hope you got to do it all! and at the same time, I hope you took time to yourself <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My nephew is a riot! We got locked out the first day I was there :( It was quite a struggle to go to the neighbours' call locksmiths until one could come and let us in. I've never locked myself out of the house before!!! Anyway.... that night in bed, my nephew said, "And we get to do it allll over again tomorrow... except for the getting locked out part". Hahahaha :D

      I tried to get a colour of material he would like - orange is his favourite colour, so there were teddy bears or something and such on it.. I can't even remember! I'll have to take a pic of it when I visit him again!

      Delete